Vegetarian Frittata with Potatoes and Greens
I love eggs. I’ve loved them since I was a little girl, and I still believe that my dad made the best scrambled eggs in the world. What I wouldn’t give for one more breakfast at our kitchen counter with him cooking me a fluffy buttery pile of them with toast and OJ.
When I was 16, I became a vegetarian, and I started to learn about the way hens were raised. I tried to be a vegan in my late teens and 20s but I really missed eggs. When they became widely available, I began buying cage-free eggs, but I’ll never forget when my aunt’s neighbors in Napa began selling farm eggs. I would always make my parents buy a dozen when we were up there. They just tasted different.
These days, I can buy farm eggs at my local market, Bi-Rite, and at the farmers market. These chickens are pasture-raised which is way different than cage free. They live out in the sunshine acting like chickens are supposed to act. Their eggs taste magnificent and I know that I’m not contributing to an animal’s misery. That makes me a happy chick(en)!
Right now, I am about two weeks into a pretty serious vegan cleanse. I think I miss eggs the most. This vegetarian frittata was made just two days before I started my cleanse. It was lovely. As a matter of fact, I made it one night for dinner with the girls and then I made mini-muffin sized frittatas for a wine night with my girls from eco.love wines. I hope you’ll love it as much as we did.
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup tricolored fingerling potatoes sliced very thinly
- 1 cups arugula, mizune greens, rapini greens, or peppercress (or mixtur) chopped finely
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste for potatoes and greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- olive oil/butter for greasing dish
- Preheat oven to 350º
- If you are using mini muffin tins, this will make 24 mini muffins, so grease/oil your muffin tins, large skillet, or individual serving dishes with spray olive oil (from a mister not with propellants) or butter.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high flam. Add potatoes and cook on for 3-5 minutes on each side until light golden brown. Add greens, green onion, and garlic. Toss well, and cook until greens are just wilted- about 4-5 minutes depending on your greens. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Beat the 12 eggs until nicely combined (no separation of whites and yolks) and slightly fluffy.Beat in milk, cream, salt and pepper.
- Add half of cooked veggies and mix with a wooden spoon, then add half of cheese and mix with wooden spoon. Add other half of veggies and stir, add the rest of the cheese and stir.
- Bake in 350º oven.
- For mini muffin size: 12-14 minutes
- In a casserole dish: 45-50 minutes — until just set