This gluten free vegan triple chocolate banana bread is decadent, chocolately, and super simple to make. This reader favorite was originally published in April of 2011. It’s been updated with brand new photos and simplified instructions. Jump Straight to The Recipe
Gluten Free & Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
How often is it that doing the dishes is a treat? Not very, right? Well, it’s been a month since my kitchen accident, and my bandages are getting smaller and smaller. Sometimes, when I know I’m going to be very careful, I can just wear a nonstick gauze and a bit of tape! That’s what I was rockin’ when I decided to try and slip my hot pink rubber gloves over the top. To my surprise, it actually worked.
I was in there in my sunny kitchen, chipping away at yesterday’s dishes, listening to a favorite Dharma talk by Jack Kornfield, and looking at a bunch of overripe bananas and I thought, “it’s been way too long since I’ve really cooked something yummy”. You see, most of the dishes were from the take out we’d ordered from Mission Chinese and the rest were from my tofu scramble at lunch.
I finished up the dishes and then Jack Kornfield shares the following quote from Deena Metzger:
Give me everything mangled and bruised
And I will make a light of it to make you weep,
And we will have rain,
And begin again.
The quote stopped me in my tracks. I went to my laptop. I played it again. Mangled, bruised… just like my bananas. Time to make some triple chocolate, coconut banana bread. Vegan of course.
- ½ cup dark brown sugar (I used muscavado)
- ½ cups organic cane sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil, softened
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed well
- 2 cups whole grain gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, mixed with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- ¼ cup cocoa nibs
- FOR TOPPING
- 3 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR GLUTEN FREE VEGAN CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- Preheat oven to 350º and Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or neutral flavored cooking oil
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt
- In a separate bowl, cream together the coconut oil and sugars. Add bananas, coconut milk, vinegar, and extracts. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix well. Then finally add in the chopped chocolate and the cocoa nibs.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for about an hour- checking at the 50 minute mark. You can remove the chocolate banana bread from the oven when the cake is still a bit squidgy. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out onto a plate. Add the finely chopped chocolate to the top of the banana bread. It will melt a bit- sprinkle the chopped nuts on top.
My vintage Kitchenaid stand mixer- she really makes things a breeze
My friend Melanie of Roots Kitchen/Gluten Free specialty who bailed me out tonight
Snuggles with my hubs- speaking of which, I’m gonna go get me some.