All girls get excited when they get flowers, myself included, but only some girls get excited when they get flours. While wandering the baking aisle at Whole Foods last week, I found something I’d never seen before, coconut flour! Be still my beating heart. I looked away, coyly, then another furtive glance. It was true! All yellowish and powdery next to the almond meal, and hazelnut flour, I didn’t even know I’d been looking for it- plainly wrapped in a Bob’s Red Mill package, but I had been. Why, perhaps I’d been searching for it my whole life.
Of course, I couldn’t just stand there, I had to do something, I had to pick up the bag, and… smell it. Good LORD, I could actually smell it’s sweet coconutty deliciousness through the bag. In that moment, I could care less who saw me, I took another whiff. I knew the coconut flour was coming home with me. We’d make sweet beautiful cookies, cakes, and pies together- I knew love was in the air.
I set about finding a fresh coconut at my local mercado and cracking that sucker open with the back of a kitchen knife to drain the coconut water (YUM). Then, I roasted in the oven at 350º for about 25 minutes so I could crack it open all the way and then scoop the flesh out with a flexible knife. Then I shaved the delicious flesh with a veggie peeler. This is my instruction on how to get fresh unsweetened coconut. So far as I can tell, there is no easier way. If you want to use regular unsweetened coconut, from the store, that will be okay too- just make sure it’s NOT SWEETENED, because that will be icky and ruin these fantabulous perfect coconut chocolate chip cookies.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter- cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh shaved coconut (shave it with a veggie peeler) or unsweetened flaked coconut
- Adjust the oven rack to the top 1/3 of the oven and preheat to 300º .
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugars and butter together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Stir together the flours and salt, then mix them into the batter.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon balls and place 9 balls on each of the baking sheets.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes (while licking the bowl clean), or until light golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with ice cold milk!